I have created this blog and will update it on a regular basis with the hopes of sharing my study abroad experience in Puebla, Mexico with family and friends back in the United States. : ) I can't wait to see everyone when I return in December. Until then, I hope everyone enjoys, and let me know that you are following along by commenting on pictures and and posts!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Shopping & Socializing


Yesterday, I woke up around 9, ate breakfast, and decided that since I didn’t have to be anywhere until noon, I would go back to sleep for a while. It was a great decision and much needed! J At 12 I met Miki and Kendra at the Ibero and we made the 10-15 minute walk to the mall. This mall was nothing like what I expected, and was  upscale and American. There was a Lacoste, Zara, Puma, Apple store, etc. . So, while it was nice to be in a mall that was quite developed, I did not find the bargains that I was hoping to. But, I still ended up buying a dress that was on sale for 99 pesos ($7-8), a pair of jeans, and a skirt. After going into the majority of the stores, we walked over to California Kitchen, which was like a deli, but also had a buffet bar and quite a large menu. I ordered the California Club Sandwich. While I have been enjoying the food here and really like the majority of what I try, it was nice to have a sandwich and fries! After a great lunch, I walked back home and got myself organized for the night ahead and the excursion tomorrow. Then, I Skyped with my parents for a while, before taking a shower and getting ready.

We were all to meet at the Ibero at 7:30 to take a taxi to the location of this house party. However, at 7:30, it was down pouring and extremely windy. We all waited for it to calm down a little bit, and met up a little later. Margarita was wonderful and drove me to the Ibero so I didn’t have to walk in the rain and in heels. It was just Bryce, Megan, Miki, and I, so we grabbed a taxi and headed to the house. The house numbers were not marked, so we had to do some investigating to find the house, but eventually did so. The party was supposed to start at 8, and of course when we walked in around 8:30, we were the first ones there. We have learned our lesson, and in the future will go by Mexican time…if it starts at 8, show up at 10. The party was for most of the international students, but a lot of other students and their friends ended up coming, and it was a nice group of people. The party was outside under a large tent, but it was very nicely decorated and arranged, and the house itself was a mansion. There was also a separate tent area where they had hired someone to make food: chalupas, Mexican corn on the cob, etc. So, for 50 pesos, we received coupons for different foods, drinks, and Jell-O shots. We had a great time talking, interacting, and dancing with our small group, as well as many others at the party. Knowing that we had to get up early in the morning, we called for a taxi around 12:30, and I arrived home around 1. Parties here in Mexico have definitely surprised me so far, but in a great way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment