I have created this blog and will update it on a regular basis with the hopes of sharing my study abroad experience in Puebla, Mexico with family and friends back in the United States. : ) I can't wait to see everyone when I return in December. Until then, I hope everyone enjoys, and let me know that you are following along by commenting on pictures and and posts!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Slow Start to a Great Week


This week started out with a long and rainy Monday. I think we were all still exhausted and recovering from an exciting and non-stop weekend in Mexico City, so when it was cold and rainy on Monday we did not want to do anything but crawl back into bed. So, after classes on Monday I opted out of spending a few hours at Casa del Sol and came home to take a little catnap before lunch. Typically, I give English lessons on Monday afternoons from 5-6 pm, but the thought of walking to the bus station, taking 2 buses, and walking to the grandmother’s house in heavy rain and strong winds was quite unappealing. So, I called the Fermin (Pamela’s father) and said I would see them on Wednesday. I slept for a while longer before waking up to finish some homework, and watch Brothers and Sisters and Desperate Housewives. Oh how I had missed my Sunday evening shows, and I was so excited to find a website that would allow me to watch them! Most websites (ABC, Hulu, etc.) will not let you access the video players from countries outside of the U.S.

Tuesday I had my morning classes, and then I took the bus down to the Zocalo area so I could finally get my cell phone working. Finally, I have a phone that functions and allows me to talk with friends and people within the country. I had some time before I had to be back home for lunch, so I sat on a bench in the sun and completed most of my homework for my Track 3 course. Then, I decided to finish writing some postcards and buy stamps to send them. Some of you may be lucky enough to receive one in the next week or so. : ) After, I took the bus back home for lunch before taking a power nap and heading to dance class. I feel like we are all really improving and at times it actually feels like we are dancing now, not just walking through all the basics. That night, our professor told us that at the end of the semester we are all going to have to perform in front of some faculty and students. That should be interesting, but I am actually looking forward to it, and think it will be a great opportunity for all of us to show how much we have learned. After dance, Bryce and I walked to a bookstore to buy a book that we needed for a class, and while we were there we noticed that there was a Ticketmaster center in the bookstore. When we were in Mexico City, we found out that Norah Jones is coming to the National Auditorium in early November. So, we decided to check into tickets and ended up splurging to have amazing seats to see her on November 5th. Not only will it be great to see Norah Jones, but to be able to say that we’ve seen a concert in the National Auditorium will be pretty cool as well.

Wednesday and Thursday were normal days with classes, tutoring, and relaxing. Wednesday afternoon I had my English lesson with Pamela. I don’t know how much she is truly getting from the lessons, but I come with a theme for every lesson, and by the end I do feel like she can somewhat use the material. But, how much she retains or truly understands I am not sure. Either way, I know that it has been beneficial for my Spanish skills, and I truly have enjoyed working with Pamela. Thursday I had a free afternoon, so I took advantage of the beautiful weather and laid out for an hour or so. The end of the rainy season is finally approaching here in Puebla, and aside from Monday, this week has been absolutely gorgeous. It has been the clearest and nicest week since I have been here. While normally I have been able to see the mountain ranges and the volcano, I had not been able to see the they were all connected until this week. The blue sky, with a single cloud, just adds to the beauty of my surroundings. Thursday night I had dance, came home and Skyped with my parents, and called it an early night after watching a movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment