I have created this blog and will update it on a regular basis with the hopes of sharing my study abroad experience in Puebla, Mexico with family and friends back in the United States. : ) I can't wait to see everyone when I return in December. Until then, I hope everyone enjoys, and let me know that you are following along by commenting on pictures and and posts!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Baptism of Jesús Alejandro


On Sunday, October 7th, I had the opportunity to see and celebrate the baptism of Jesús Alejandro with Margarita and the rest of her family. Eight days before I arrived in Puebla, Margarita’s son, Alejandro, and his wife, Flor, had a baby boy named Jesús Alejandro. Since  then, the planning and necessary preparations had been in motion for the baptism. Margarita, Lupita, and I spent several nights making and addressing all of the invitations, followed by nights spent making decorations that the families in attendance could take with them to remember the special occasion. With all of Margarita’s family, her husband’s family, and the family of Flor, there would be close to 150 people at the baptism and party afterwards, and Margarita would prepare ALL the food. So, the week before the baptism, Margarita spent major portions of the day in the kitchen, and the day before, her and her sister were up until 4 in the morning finishing the last of the food.

On Sunday morning, some of the family came over to get ready and relax before the mass and baptism. Around 12:50, we walked across the street to the church, and around 1, mass started. After an hour mass, we all gathered around a little fountain, where Alejandro and Flor handed baby Jesús Alejandro over to his godparents (Lupita and the brother of Flor), and the father baptized him. The ceremony was very short, and different than what I had expected, but it was a ritual that I am glad I was part of. After, there was a lot of picture taking with baby Jesús, who behaved wonderfully throughout everything. Then, we walked back to the house and loaded up the cars with all the food, gifts, and other necessities. We drove to a banquet center, 15 minutes or so from my house, and took all the food to the kitchen so Margarita and her sister, Rosa, could warm it all. I sat with the rest of Margarita’s family during this time, the majority of which I had met before, and enjoyed their company. I also think I met the crazy uncle, the husband of Margarita’s sister, as every family has to have the crazy uncle. Then, we all ate, before more picture taking and conversing. Of course there was cake and a couple of games, and before leaving, I helped clean up some of the tables. Around 6 or so, I left with Margarita’s niece, Rosy, and her daughter, and they dropped me off at my house so I could finish up some homework. Margarita and Lupita were at the banquet center until almost 11, talking with family and friends, and cleaning up the hall. The day was very special for the family, and almost everything went without a hitch. I am glad I was able to spend the day with the family and be part of the festivities.

Pictures from the baptism are towards the end of this album:


No comments:

Post a Comment