I have created this blog and will update it on a regular basis with the hopes of sharing my study abroad experience in Puebla, Mexico with family and friends back in the United States. : ) I can't wait to see everyone when I return in December. Until then, I hope everyone enjoys, and let me know that you are following along by commenting on pictures and and posts!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Some Information & Observations…


Puebla is the capital city of the state of Puebla, and is located in Southern Mexico, about 70 miles Southeast of Mexico City. It is a very old, historical and colonial city, which makes it beautiful. It is surrounded by mountains, and has three volcanoes, one active and two dormant. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous and it so nice to wake up to every day. It is weird because sometimes you can see the mountains and volcanoes very clearly, and other times, there are clouds surrounding them, but taking their shape. Also, it is cool to watch storms come over and off the mountain ranges. It gets extremely dark and eerie. The weather here is almost perfect. The months of August and September are the rainy months, and it has rained everyday that I have been here between the hours of 4 and 6 pm. However, once the rain passes, it is usually quite nice again. The temperature has been great, between 70 and 80 all week. It is cool in the morning, similar to Michigan weather, and then warms throughout the week. The sun is intense, but feels good. In coming months the temperature will drop a little, between 60 and 70 most days, and the rain will not be as frequent. I think I could definitely get used to year round temperatures and climate like this!

Everyone is very friendly and helpful, and wants to get to know you. When I was in el Centro the last couple of days, I definitely turned some heads, and while some vendors and people just see me as an easy target as an American, others really are interested in talking to and interacting with you. So far, I have felt very safe and have not felt threatened. I would not go out at night by myself at this point, but during the day, I have no concerns. Also, Puebla the city is very modern and has many of the chain restaurants and stores that we have in the United States. As I already stated, I have eaten at McDonald’s and Burger King. But, I have also seen Subway, Starbucks, Dominos, KFC, Walmart, Costco, Sears, Snap Fitness, etc. I honestly had no idea what to expect as far as modern conveniences and availability, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

In Mexico, as in many other countries, lunch is the biggest meal of the day. So, I typically have a good sized breakfast between 8 and 9, a large lunch around 3, and then a small snack or smoothie for dinner between around 8:30. It took some getting used to, but now that I am used to this routine, I quite like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment