I have created this blog and will update it on a regular basis with the hopes of sharing my study abroad experience in Puebla, Mexico with family and friends back in the United States. : ) I can't wait to see everyone when I return in December. Until then, I hope everyone enjoys, and let me know that you are following along by commenting on pictures and and posts!

Friday, August 27, 2010


Tuesday I woke up, got ready, and had a delicious breakfast of papaya, banana, yogurt, and granola. Man, does Margarita know me and my health-nuttiness or what!? : ) After breakfast, we walked to the Universidad Iberoamericana, which will be my college while I am here. It is a beautiful campus, with a lot of fountains, areas to sit and relax, and beautifully landscaped scenery. From several points on campus, you can look over at the mountains, and then see the tip of one of the local volcanoes blowing off a little steam. Beautiful! The campus is not as big as I expected, which is great and shouldn’t be too big of an adjustment for this little Adrian College girl. We had our on-campus orientation with Ignacio today and covered many issues regarding daily life here. We took our placement tests, had a tour of campus and the library, and had a delicious, but mainly American, lunch.

Also, I have received a scholarship through the program that allows me complete some volunteer work while here. So, I, and two other students, will be volunteering at a non-profit orphanage type facility called Casa del Sol. We will be helping those who work there in anyway possible, but mostly interacting with the children, who will range in age from infants to 13 or 14 years old. We will meet with Ignacio and the director of Casa de Sol next week sometime once things are all settled. I can’t wait to spend a few hours a week with Mexican children!

After lunch, we took a small, campus bus back downtown to the Zocalo where as a group we went on the same bus tour I went on yesterday. I think I understood a little more this time, but still probably could have done without the bus tour round 2. Then, we went back to the Ibero (name for Universidad Iberamericana), where I was met by Margarita. We walked back to the house and had a relaxing evening. We talked for a while before I took the time to catch up on this and talk to my parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment